45 Live Lowdown #19 - Dan Walters
23rd August 2017
45 Live Lowdown #19
1. Where are you based?
2. Why 45s?
Always loved vinyl from being a kid in the 80s and playing records with my older brother.
My love of 45s came from djing at house parties in the 90s and really took hold when I saw the brainfreeze tour in the early 2000s.
3. Your inspiration/mentor/hero?
Jelly Jazz was a big inspiration. I used to visit a mate at Uni and we’d go. The music was spot on and the vibe was amazing. I think watching any DJ with a love and creative style is hugely inspiring. J.Rocc is one of my favourites.
4. Your most elusive 45, what is it and how long have you been looking?
Backyard Construction 'Are you Lonely?'. Took me 3 years to find. Don’t think I’ve ever played it out though!
5. Best ever dig?
I think he first time I ever visited NYC for my day job. I remember being in Bleeker Bobs for hours going through everything and spending my budget all in one go!
6. All originals pressings?
Not at all. I think the tune is the most important thing. Some great edits are coming out on 45 nowadays!
7. Do you hoard or buy and sell?
I mainly Buy :o)
8. How many 45s have you got and how do you catalogue/store them?
I haven’t counted them lately. I re-sleeve everything, bpm them and store in cardboard 45s boxes.
9. Cover up or share the love?
Share the love.
10. What’re your top 3 LPs tracks that you wish had been pressed onto 7”?
It’s more that I wish some tracks I own on LP would be a bit cheaper on 45 :o)
11. Biggest disaster whilst DJing?!
Mainly equipment failure when digital djing. too many things can go wrong!